Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Trying to Figure Out the Rest of 2011

I've been so busy lately with "journalistic"-style blogging that I haven't really provided any updates on my own running.

Last week I hit 70 miles for the first time since the Leadville 100. Prior to last week, I was at 60 miles per week and feeling pretty good. I'm doing one tempo run a week and am feeling great. My legs are turning over nicely. The longest run I've done since Leadville is only 16 miles and that was last Saturday.

I'm really stuck in the mud as to what big race I may do in the coming months. I'd like to do the California International Marathon on 12/4, but that would require a day off from work and my vacation time right now is very limited--especially with the holidays approaching. So I don't know what I'm doing. This weekend I'm running in another 5K and, while I like 5Ks (and am pretty good at them), they don't really get my engine going. I thrive on racing 100-milers and marathon PR efforts and everything inbetween!

The problem is that I'm not really motivated to travel for a race right now. Stay tuned for whatever is next for me in 2011. Maybe I'll get the itch to travel for a race, but right now the itch isn't there.

***

My spring/summer 2012 calendar is still a little fluid--due mainly to upcoming lottery results. Here's my dream/optimal scenario for the spring/summer:

January - Ponderous Posterior FA 50K
February - Training
March - Georgia Marathon
April - Cheyenne Mountain 50K
May - Training
June - Western States 100
July - Training
August - Leadville 100
September - Bear 100
October - ?
November - ?
December - ?

I'm not going to count on getting into Western States, which means this might be the more probable schedule for 2012:

January - Ponderous Posterior FA 50K
February - Training
March - Georgia Marathon
April - Cheyenne Mountain 50K
May - Jemez 50M
June - Mt. Evans Ascent
July - Leadville Trail Marathon
August - Leadville 100
September - Bear 100
October - ?
November - ?
December - ?

I really hope I get into Western States!
 
***

You may have already read my interview with Mike Morton. If not, click here to read it. I'm really proud of this interview...maybe because Mike is hugely inspiring to me. I have an eye for a good story and, when I saw what he did at the Hinson Lake 24-Hour, I felt like I'd struck gold.

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully a race will pop up for December and I'm glad you are back at it with some solid mileage. Great interview by the way. Crazy to think that he accomplished that with a congested course that seemingly didn't look ideal for coming close to the 24-hour record. That combined with the heat is just so impressive. No doubt he would have set a new record given a more ideal running surface ect. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete