Thursday, January 27, 2011

Starting to feel strong(er)

I'm starting to feel strong...or maybe just stronger. This morning on my 9-miler in the Parker hills I felt good on the ascents and my stride felt fluid. Going "fast" is still a bit of a challenge; I feel "it" in my left foot when I amp up the pace. Nothing terrible. I don't even know what "it" is, but I think "it" is just the lingering plantar fasciitis, which I really need to keep at bay!

I've been feeling more and more motivated lately, even though running in the cold and dark and against a nasty breeze can sometimes really suck. Honestly, I kind of have a chip on my shoulder--a good thing. I had a crappy year in 2010, though I did finish the Leadville 100 in under 25 hours. In 2011, I really want to see my performance improve and I want to be a factor in races like I was when we lived out East. No one here knows me. So the way I see it, there's no pressure.

Regarding the chip on my shoulder, I don't know what to think. Am I a good ultrarunner...or just a wannabe? Is it even worthwhile for me to feel really motivated and pissed off and want to beat some guys out here? I don't know. Maybe out West I'm just a middle-of-the-packer. We'll see. But there's something that has me getting up every morning at 4:40 motivated and ready to get in a great run.

Only time will tell if I can do something as a runner out West...or if I'm just a schlub who should be content finishing in the middle of the pack. But for now I think I'll run with motivation, a chip on my shoulder and wanting to kick some butt. Maybe the only butt I'll kick is my own.

Talk is cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment