Sunday, March 30, 2008

The week in review

I had an excellent training week, ending with 101.1 miles with a few quality tempo runs mixed in and an awesome 30-mile long run on Saturday. My Mohican training is definitely off to the right start. I have 12 more weeks until the big event. A lot can go wrong, so I'll keep my fingers crossed and exercise common sense.

I have decided that there is no excuse not to do some speedwork/intervals, especially as I may be able to run the Cleveland Marathon, where I hope to break 3 hours. So I'm going to get on the track this week and start doing some 1200s and 1600s at about 5:38 pace or better. I'll just be careful and make sure that I'm not doing anything that could lead to injury during this high-mileage period. I will use my new Asics DS Trainers for my track work.

I also need to decide what approach I'm going to take to this Saturday's Spring Classic 1/2 Marathon in Strongsville. I can't decide whether to train through it, using it as a long tempo run, or to taper for it and make it a key event. This week I'm due for less mileage--about 70-80 miles--and so I may just train through the Spring Classic, being sure to take it easy on Friday. I think that's what I'll do. My goal will still be to break 1:24. If I don't, I'll know I have lots of work to do to be ready for the Cleveland Marathon.

I think I may take tomorrow off and recover. We'll see how I'm feeling. I'm definitely not running tomorrow morning but may entertain an after-work run of about 4-5 miles at recovery pace. I'd like to get out this week during my lunch hour and get in some miles--preferably down MLK to the lake and back. I'll just sponge off afterward. Unfortunately, we don't have any showers at work.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on cracking the 100 mile/week barrier. Sounds like you've got a solid plan for the Spring as you build for Mohican. Stay strong and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun at the Spring Classic but don't get caught in the excitement of the race and burn the course up too fast.

    ReplyDelete